Saturday 11 March 2017

Match won against Alcalá RC

Match against Alcalá RC 

On saturday 11th March, we were to play against Alcalá RC. We played as visitors, so we started up early to get to Alcalá de Henares on time. We took our half-scrum there too. Well, when we got there, we saw (rather to my disappointment) that it was a turf pitch. We started practising our kicks until our coaches got there. Then, we started training. We were not that confident. Alcalá was sixth, but they were pretty big. The tension was growing as both teams sized each other up. The referee suddenly stood in the centre of the pitch looking at the audience with all of the Alcalá team in a line on his left, just like a national football team listening to its anthem. We did the same on the ref's right. Then it got clear: we were having 1 minute of silence for the anniversary of the terrorist attack on the Atocha train station on the 11th March 2003. There we were, feeling like professionals. But we only felt that one minute. The referee blew his whistle and both teams formed. Their team kicked off. Our team tried to pass to the right flank. I got the ball and passed it fast, only to find myself tackled after I had passed. But the referee hadn't seen it, so I remained silent. But the turf had torn my scar on my right knee, peeling off my scar tissue and left it hanging. I have never known how I got to that next ruck that fast. Perhaps it was anger, or pain. But it helped! So I focused only on the game and on the pain. So the game went on. But this ref really took his position seriously. He was constantly stopping the game. He was very equal, but I think he shouldn't have stopped the game so much! Anyway, he took every question of the captain as a protest and the game got a bit hard. But we still continued and scored many tries. At the end of the day, the game ended 5-35, for the Complutense Cisneros! After celebrating, we went into the changing rooms, which were more like trailers with park benches and showers. We really felt like film stars. After the shower, I got my knee bandaged up and sat down to the 3rd time with my team.

No comments:

Post a Comment